Now you are ready to create the activities that you want to schedule. Activities are the actions that take time to perform and require some or all of the Resources you have just defined.
- Locate the “+New Activity” tab in the upper left region of the Main Page. Click on it. This takes you to the Activity Editor.
- Enter an Activity “Name”, and “Description”. The “Description” field is for your information only and is not used by the FAST Scheduling logic.
- If there is a restriction on when this Activity can start or end, enter an “Earliest Start” and/or a “Latest Finish”. If there are no restrictions, you can leave the default values.
- Enter the duration of the Activity in minutes.
- If you want to use priorities, you can enter an integer value between 1 and 999. Lower numbers represent higher priorities. We recommend that you use the default value to start.
- Initially, you can skip the “Name Tags”, “Tags”, “Client”, and “Possibilities” sections of this editor. You will learn about those advanced capabilities later.
The “Resources” section of the Activity Editor is where you specify which Resources are required for this activity to be performed.
- Click on the “Add Resource” tab. You will see the “Class”, “Type”, and “Name” fields with pull down menus. Since you have already defined your Resources, these menus will allow you to select the Resources required by this Activity. Select the appropriate required Resources.
- Next specify a “Start Time” and an “End Time” for this Resource Requirement. The defaults are zero and the duration of the Activity. This means that you require the Resource to be available for the entire duration of the Activity. Later you can change these values, but when getting started, use the defaults.
- Specify the “Quantity” for this requirement. For individual resources, this value will be “1”. For Pooled Resources, the Quantity can be any value. (Don’t worry about Pooled Resources at first.)
- The default value for “Enforcement” is “on”. This assures that the scheduler will require the resource you have just selected to be available if and when the Activity is scheduled. We will explain the other options later. To start, leave the “Enforcement” option to “On”.
- Use the “Add Resource” tab repeatedly to specify other Resources required by this Activity.
- When all of the Resources required by this activity are specified, Click the “Save” button to finish the creation of this Activity.
- You can create another Activity by selecting the “+New Activity” tab at the upper left of the Activity Editor. This will create a new activity with the same parameters that you defined for the last one you created. This simplifies the data entry task when there are a lot of similar Activates tp create.
- Be sure to “Save” each new activity.
- Exit out of the Activity Editor by clicking on the “X” in the upper right of the window.
That’s it; your initial data is entered. Now you are ready to schedule!